Who can get a free Metal Card?
The Metal Card is free for everyone that prepays their Easy Money or Easy Green plans for 12-24 months. No need to worry about your plan fees for the next 12-24 months and a beautiful Metal Card is on its way to your doorstep! 🌈
How do I get a free Metal Card?
Starting today anyone with an Easy Money or Easy Green plan can order their Metal Card straight from the bunq app.
Just click here or follow the steps below:
- Go to Home tab
- Tap on Cards
- Tap on + Add Credit Card
- Choose Metal Card Credit
- And Get your beautiful Metal Card for Free in just a few taps!
- Please keep in mind that you can only order a bunq Metal card if your account is fully active and has a positive balance.
- The free replacement doesn't apply to Metal Cards. Replacing Metal Cards comes with a €129 fee. Check our pricing sheet for more information.
- If you already ordered your Metal Card, you can downgrade to Easy Bank and keep using your card. If you've the Easy Bank plan and want to order the Metal Card, you'll be asked to upgrade to Easy Money or Easy Green.
Is this promotion available when I’m in a Pack? 🐺
- If you’re the owner of the Pack: yes, it is! Prepay for 12 months and get your free Metal Card!
- If you’re a member of someone else’s Pack: You can’t prepay your membership to get a free Metal Card. If you wish to benefit from this promotion, you can start your own Pack, invite friends to join bunq, and get your Free Metal Card! Otherwise, you can order the Metal Card for a one-time charge of €129.
For how long do I need to prepay to get a free card?
The Metal Card is free for users who'll pre-pay for:
- 24 months of an Easy Money Personal or Easy Money Business plan;
- 12 months of a Easy Green Personal or Easy Green Business plan;
- 12 months of a Pack plan for Pack owners.
If you’re a Pack member, you can receive the Metal Card for a one-time charge of €129.
Mastercard Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty as well as the tree-planting feature continue to be available only for users on an Easy Green plan.
More information is available in our pricing sheet on page 8.
This pre-payment is non-refundable.
Card Information 💳
- Will the shipment of my Metal Card be tracked?
Yes! Your card will be sent via tracked delivery in a super green way and will be delivered in 2 weeks. 🍃 We’ve partnered with DHL to use the new Go Green service. 😃
- Is the Metal Card a debit or credit card?
The Metal Card is a true credit card. You can use it for all your spending needs, without the risk of falling into debt. Win-win!
Merchants will, therefore, recognize the Metal Card as a credit card, so you can continue to get the best acceptance worldwide and online. Easily add money directly to the card and you’re all set to spend. For more info, check this page.
- How can I add money to the Metal Card?
We offer multiple, convenient options for adding money to your Metal Card. Our most recent is the credit and debit card top-up, but you can also use iDEAL, SOFORT, and IBAN transfers, as well as cash and Wise deposits. You can find more info at this page.
- Can I use Apple Pay or Google Pay with the Metal Card?
Yes, you can! You can conveniently use Apple Pay and Google Pay with your Metal Card everywhere that they've been launched with bunq. You can use either option to make in-store and online payments even before your new card arrives.
Find out how to activate your card with Apple Pay here and Google Pay here.
- Can I make contactless payments with my Metal Card?
Yes, all bunq cards including the Metal Card work for contactless payments! Keep in mind that you've €25 limit per individual transaction and €50 for all contactless transactions. If you reach either limit at any time, you'll need to enter your pin and the limit will reset. You can read more about it here.
- Can I use the Metal Card for offline payments?
Offline payments, such as payments made on airplanes, are possible with the Metal Card for purchases up to €250. This is to make sure your account always stays safe and secure, even when your app is offline.
You can find out more info about offline payments here.
- Do I plant trees when I send outgoing payments (SEPA, iDEAL, SOFORT)?
If you're an Easy Green user, we'll be planting trees for every €100 you spend with your Metal Card. 🌳 That doesn't include standard outgoing payments made in the app.
- What’s the material of the card?
The Metal Card uses 50% less plastic and lasts 50% longer than a traditional plastic card.
- Are there any benefits for getting a Metal Card?
For Easy Green users, payments made with your Metal Card are insured with the Purchase Protection system powered by Mastercard and AXA.🛡You can find more information here.
- What if I change my plan from Easy Money to Easy Green during my 24 month period?
By prepaying Easy Money you basically get a €8.99 discount which will last 24 months. So if you switch to Easy Green immediately, you'll pay €17.99 - €8.99 = €9.00 each month. This will remain the case for the full 24 months.
- When does my Metal Card expire?
Metal Cards expire 6 years after the date of order (example: If you've ordered the card on the 12th of February 2021, the card will be active until 12 February 2027)
- What if I downgrade my plan in the future, can I still use the card?
Indeed, you can still use the card no matter of the plan you're using after you've ordered the card.
- My card was swallowed by an ATM, what should I do?
When a Metal card is swallowed by an ATM, the ATM owner eventually sends it back to us. But in those cases, we've to destroy and dispose of the card, which means that you've to replace the card on your own costs.