As a bank we're required to verify your identity before opening your full-fledged Spanish bank account at bunq. Since we'd love to have you onboard, we partnered up with IDnow for smooth and worry-free identity verification.
Throughout the entire 5-minute identity verification process, you'll be supported by the tooltips and if there are questions, an IDnow ident specialist will provide personal support via video chat. Of course, our Support team is also eager to help you via the in-app chat or email.
Please, keep in mind that IDnow's ident specialist availability is from 08:00 CET to 24:00 CET everyday.
For countries within the EU 🇪🇺
We accept the following documents:
- Passports (Except for Latvia, you can use your ID cards instead)
- ID cards from the following countries: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Czech Republic, Spain, Finland, Hungary, Italy (For our Italian users: only the plastic ID card is allowed), Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Sweden and Slovenia.
- Please note: For users in Denmark, Estonia, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, Ireland, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Iceland and Romania ID cards are not accepted. Please provide your passport.
- Residence permits: The valid one is the identity card and not the endorsement sticker. You can see an example here. Please note:: We currently don't approve Spanish residence permits issued after the 19th of May, 2020.
- Due to regulatory requirements, we don't accept driver's licenses for Spain.
For non-EU countries
We accept passports from the following countries:
- Hong Kong
- South Korea
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- United States
- South Africa
If you're from a non-EU country that's not included in the previous lists, you must have a European passport ready for verification. Keep in mind that bunq is only operational within the EEA, an account can't be opened outside the EEA, even by EU citizens.
When identifying yourself in the app, make sure to follow the instructions and scan both sides of your identity document.
In some specific cases your verification may take more time. That’s why we’d like to make sure that you’re up to date on your verification status, so we’ve implemented the Waiting List ✨
In case we can’t open your account in just 5 minutes, we’ll ask if you’d like to join the Waiting List. This is a queue where all users who weren’t able to be verified in time can wait until we can offer a 5-minute verification 🙌
You can learn more on how the Waiting List works here 🌈
Are you from the UK?
Please check this page for more information.
Explore more bunq knowledge here 🌈
Would you like to start using bunq right away? Sign up now and get your bunq account in less than 5 minutes!