Hey bunqers 🌈
Expecting a refund from a merchant and it still hasn’t arrived? No worries, you’ll receive your funds back! Just make sure to follow the instructions provided below:
- Note: First, make sure to check if your refund has arrived, as explained here
Take into account the normal waiting time for a refund
In case the merchant is processing your refund manually (meaning - you didn’t request it through the app yourself), every kind of refund may take a different amount of time to be processed. This is due to the multiple systems merchants may use and also the ways they process refunds may take more technical time.
You can check with the merchant on the sending date of the refund and calculate what’s the latest date in which your funds should arrive.
- Make sure to check the different waiting times for incoming payments here 🙌
The processing time has passed and the refund is still not with me, what now?
Contact the merchant again and ask for the status of your refund and check if there isn’t an error on their end. Best way to communicate with them here is via written form (chat/email), so that you can provide all needed information easily, and in turn receive proof of communication for later stages if needed.
When contacting them for the first time, you can provide them with a bank statement proving that the refund isn’t in your account yet. Once the merchant checks in their system and with their bank, they’ll be able to locate the refund and give you further info.
- Pro tip: In case the merchant has reversed the payment (meaning they just return your transfer back to you), then it’s possible that the refund got stuck with the other bank. In such case, to have the refund processed, simply request an in-app refund and the funds should arrive in your account. If this doesn’t help, keep on reading 🙌
The merchant claims that the refund is in bunq’s system, what’s next?
In this case you can either:
- Request in-app payment investigation and provide all the info given to you from the merchant
- Request a refund through the app in order for us to investigate further on our side
In both cases, our relevant department will take a further look at the case, liaise with all relevant parties and keep you in the loop with the status of your refund. Once your refund is back with you, you’ll be notified right away.
Want to learn more? Explore more bunq knowledge here 🌈