Hey bunqers 🌈
To give you the freedom to use your account on your terms, we ensure that you can't fall into debt by not offering loans, credit or overdraft. This way you can freely use your money without the burden of debt. 🌈
However, there are few occasions when you might have a negative balance on your bunq account. You can check them below 👍
Most common reasons
- Invoice fee: the membership fee is deducted from the billing account but the funds are insufficient.
- Card payment: the payment amount was adjusted due to ZeroFX or because the merchant collected a higher amount than initially authorised.
- Sofort top-up: we do not receive the money for a Sofort top-up within 2 working days. Thus, the Sofort top-up is reversed. Learn more here.
Understanding your situation
You can easily check the latest payments by going to Home and then tapping on Total to understand which payment caused the negative balance exactly.
How do I resolve my negative balance to reactivate my bunq account?
- You can transfer money to your IBAN from one of your other accounts that has enough funds.
- You can also use one of the other top-up methods to add money to your bunq account.
❗️As soon as you resolve your negative balance, your bunq account will be reactivated right away and you will be able to use it normally again.
What happens when I have a negative balance?
- Day 0: You get notified when you log into the bunq app, and you’re asked to resolve the negative balance.
- Day 7: You are being reminded again when you login and we will also be sending you a reminder via email.
- Day 14: You are being reminded in the bunq app and via email. Your cards and API keys are temporarily deactivated.
- Day 31: We freeze your account after a month in debt until you resolve the outstanding balance with a deposit.
Once you resolve the negative balance, your account will immediately be unblocked. Have you paid your debt but are still experiencing difficulties successfully logging back into your account? Just let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to learn more? Explore more bunq knowledge here ✨