True Name 🌈
At bunq, we believe in the power of diversity, and there’s no diversity without the true freedom of identity. Part of your identity is your own true name. When you register in our app, we always ask you to verify your identity through a legally required verification flow so that you get to enjoy our amazing features everywhere you go.
Your name is written in your profile, documents and personal cards. As you know, your personal cards are filled in with your original name as per your identity documents - but sometimes, the identification documents don’t show the true identity of a person.
On May 17, 2021, on the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia and Transphobia we’re more than proud to announce that bunq is the first bank in history to launch the True Name feature. This is done in cooperation with Mastercard across Europe, supporting transgender and non-binary communities. 🏳️⚧️
In order to spread awareness and show that you can be who you are, no matter how you identify yourself, you can use our newest feature - True Name! 💳
What’s True Name ?
From now on, whenever you order a card, you’ll be able to enter a preferred first name of your choice. You’ll have the right to enter the name with which you identify in your daily life, because our number one mission is to make life easy - whenever and wherever you go. 🚀
How does it work?
When you order a card and choose the visible name of your card, you’ll be able to enter your true name. And here’s the process:
- Open the bunq app
- Tap on Cards
- Select your desired card
- Click on the name options and select your preference
- Enter your True Name in “Add a preferred name”
- Enter a description of your choice
- Click Get your card to order your special new bunq card 🌈
Important things to mention:
- True Name is now available to all personal accounts everywhere ✅
- The preferred first name field is an open field with maximum 20 characters. Character limit on Maestro & Mastercard is 20 characters per field. This means that you have 20 characters for 'name on card' and 20 characters for 'preferred name'.
- The character limit on Metal cards: 25 characters in total. This means that you get 25 characters for name-on-card and preferred name combined.
- Inappropriate words aren't allowed and may be blocked by us
- The preferred name field is available for all countries
- If you have a card already and want to use the new True Name feature, you can order a new card with your preferred name
- By setting a ‘preferred name on card’ you are NOT changing your public Nickname, since True Name isn't the new NickName)
For these and other improvements, update your app today! 🏃♂️
Stay tuned for more exciting updates and features in the future!
Want to learn more?
Explore more bunq knowledge here 🚀