At bunq, we believe in the power of diversity, and there’s no diversity without the true freedom of identity. Part of your identity is your own true name. When you register in our app, we always ask you to verify your identity through a legally required verification flow so that you get to enjoy our amazing features everywhere you go.
True Name gives you the freedom of identity. You’ll be able to enter a preferred first name of your choice, the name you identify with in your daily life whenever you order a card.
On May 17, 2021, the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia and Transphobia, we’re more than proud to announce that bunq is the first bank in history to launch the True Name feature. This is done in cooperation with Mastercard across Europe, supporting transgender and non-binary communities 🏳️⚧️
How can I order a card with my True Name?
Here’s the simple process:
- Go to Home Tab
- Tap on 🟣 + Add
- Tap on 🔵 Add Card
- Select your card
- Click on the name options and select your preference
- Enter your True Name in “Add a preferred name”
- Enter a description of your choice
- Click Get your card to order your special new bunq card 🌈
Good to know
- True Name is now available to all personal accounts and all countries ✅
- The character limit on Maestro & Mastercard is 20 characters per field. It means you have 20 characters for 'name on card' and 20 characters for 'preferred name'.
- The character limit on Metal cards is 25 characters in total. You get 25 characters for name-on-card and preferred name combined.
- Inappropriate words aren't allowed and may be blocked by us
- If you have a card already and want to use the new True Name feature, you can order a new card with your preferred name.
- Setting a ‘preferred name on card’ does NOT change the public Nickname
For these and other exciting improvements, update your app today! 🏃♂️
Explore more bunq knowledge here 🌈