True Name 🌈
At bunq, we believe in the power of diversity, and there’s no diversity without the true freedom of identity. Part of your identity is your own true name. When you register in our app, we always ask you to verify your identity trough a legally required verification flow so that you get to enjoy our amazing features everywhere you go.
Your name is written in your profile, documents and personal cards. As you know, your personal cards are filled in with your original name as per your identity documents - but sometimes, the identification documents don’t show the true identity of a person.
Today, 17th of May, on the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia,
Interphobia and Transphobia we’re more than proud to announce that bunq is the first bank in history to launch the True Name feature. This is done in cooperation with Mastercard across Europe, supporting transgender and non-binary communities. 🏳️⚧️
In order to spread awareness and show that you can be who you are, no matter how you identify yourself, you can use our newest feature - True Name! 💳
What’s True Name ?
From now on, whenever you order a card, you’ll be able to enter a preferred first name of your choice. You’ll have the right to enter the name with which you identify in your daily life, because our number one mission is to make your life easy everyday - everywhere you go. 🚀
How does it work?
When you order a card and choose the visible name of your card, you’ll be able to enter your true name. And here’s the process:
- Open the bunq app
- Tap on Home and go to Cards
- Tap on the colorful MENU button
- Select your desired card
- Enter a description of your choice
- Enter the address for delivery
- Choose name of card
- Click on the Name Options
- Select “Or choose a preferred name yourself”
- Enter your True Name
- Order your special new bunq card 🌈
Important things to mention:
- The preferred first name field is an open field with maximum 20 characters
- Inappropriate words are not allowed and may be blocked by us
- The combination of legal name and preferred first name are visible on your Profile page in the app. This way you can identify yourself in case additional verification is requested.
- The preferred first name field is available for all countries
- If you have a card already and want to use the new True Name feature, you can order a new card with your preferred first name
For these and other improvements, update your app today! 🏃♂️
Stay tuned for more exciting updates and features in the future!
Want to learn more?
Explore more bunq knowledge here 🚀